[Bootcd-user] generic system rescue diskk

Erik Rossen rossen at prolibre.com
Thu Sep 13 09:54:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 10:32:49AM +0200, Erik Rossen wrote:
> But there may be another way of specifying the "root" kernel option by
> referring to the /dev/disk/{by-uuid,by-path,by-id} hierarchy for
> specifying disks.  If, for example, the CDROM has a fixed UUID (call it
> "blah"), perhaps specifying "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/blah" would work in
> all cases and one would no longer need to make a choice from a boot
> menu.

Hmm...I just checked and it may be even simpler than that.

The /dev/disk heirarchy is maintained by the udev daemon.  So are
symbolic links like "/dev/cdrom".  If udev is part of the initrd, all
you would need to do is specify "root=/dev/cdrom" and, as long as there
is only one CDROM drive in your machines, it would boot from the correct
device every time.

--
Erik Rossen           A. It breaks the flow of conversation.
rossen at prolibre.com   Q. Why is top-quoting annoying?