Tracing bugs between distro's bugtrackers - Was: Re: Help bts-link be a more effective tool

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Mon Jan 19 09:36:18 UTC 2009

Hi.

Le dimanche 18 janvier 2009 à 19:54 +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES a écrit :
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Sandro Tosi <morph at debian.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > If you feel something is missing, should be fixed or enhanced, let
> > us[4] know; of course, patches are welcome ;) (git repo at [5]).
>
> I really useful stuff will be to use user tag in order to crossref
> another distrib bugzilla. For instance some bug are fixed on redhat
> like #506180 but not upstream.
> It will allow to automatize retrieval of information.

FYI, that's the kind of features we're working on in the HELIOS project
(more details here :
https://picoforge.int-evry.fr/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Helios_wp3/Web ).

We're thinking about helping navigate and manage bugs by allowing the
navigation between various distros and upstream bugtrackers... I hope
our efforts will benefit Debian through bts-link and other tools, of
course.

We're still just started and busy with lots of things, and nothing
concrete do demonstrate so far.

We're currently trying to evaluate work that has been conducted by
others in the Nepomuk project to find if ontologies and RDF are
interesting to allow the representation of such meta-data about bugs and
links between bugs in standard format.

Of course the use of debbugs (user)tags is very interesting (compared to
what exist in other bugtrackers) to store such elements, but we're
thinking about devising something that would scale to the vast majority
of bugtrackers used by the free software communities... so we probably
need to think about an external store, and hence RDF standard format and
such.

Hope this makes sense ;)

Best regards,

P.S.: I'll probably join the FOSDEM, so I hope I'll have the chance to
discuss that with some of you bugtracking gurus :-)
--
Olivier BERGER <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu>
http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP-Id: 1024D/6B829EEC