[Buildd-tools-devel] schroot unionfs support

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Mon Mar 16 14:58:42 UTC 2009

Hi everybody

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Tim Abbott wrote:

> I've been using the schroot unionfs support from [1] in one of the
> production environments that I run for around 6 months now, and I've found
> it to be much more pleasant than the LVM snapshot backend.  The biggest
> benefits I've seen are much better parallel performance (creating an LVM
> snapshot takes a few seconds, and is not parallelizable) and much less
> disk is wasted when one leaks a chroot by failing to run "schroot -e".

Never thought anyone except me is using it in production :-)

> I was thinking about doing the work to update the original patch to
> current schroot master and include the fixes that Waseem mentioned in his
> post [2] so that this functionality can be merged.

I already have a (giant) patch for schroot and sbuild, which make
fs-union a "chroot-options" class inheriting from chroot_source and
basically makes allmost all real chroot classes inherit from it.

I'm unsing it with directory and loopback chroots, but it should work with
block devices too.

I have attached an archive with the new files, the git diffs and the git
status files (schroot--sbuild.tar.bz2).

As a quick overview check the attached changes-file.

Actually next weekend I planned to split this stuff into git commits, but
since I'm leaving next week for a two months holiday to Canada, I'm not
sure I'll manage it.

Regards,

Jan-Marek Glogowski