[Buildd-tools-devel] schroot unionfs support

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Fri Mar 13 18:31:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 01:55:49PM -0400, Tim Abbott wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been using the schroot unionfs support from [1] in one of the
> production environments that I run for around 6 months now, and I've found
> it to be much more pleasant than the LVM snapshot backend.  The biggest
> benefits I've seen are much better parallel performance (creating an LVM
> snapshot takes a few seconds, and is not parallelizable) and much less
> disk is wasted when one leaks a chroot by failing to run "schroot -e".
>
> I was thinking about doing the work to update the original patch to
> current schroot master and include the fixes that Waseem mentioned in his
> post [2] so that this functionality can be merged.
>
> But I thought I'd send mail first to inquire whether the work is already
> being done.

I haven't done any further work on it myself, but I think it's a very
useful addition to schroot which would be way better than LVM
snapshotting.

Some of the points I mentioned in my original reply haven't been
addressed yet, such as how to handle the feature.  Currently, I think
it should be a separate interface class like source chroots which
any other chroot type can implement.  All mountable chroot types (or
the base block-device type) plus directory/plain chroots could usefully
implement this.

I will be very happy to merge this, thanks for reminding me about it!

Regards,
Roger

Regards,
Roger