[buildd-tools-devel] schroot: /home not automatically bindmounting

Kevin Coyner kevin at rustybear.com
Sun Feb 7 03:50:37 UTC 2010

I've recently installed debootstrap and schroot on a testing setup so
that I can build packages in unstable.

I've got it more or less working except for being able to get /home/
to automatically bind-mount my real /home.

When I run schroot, I get:

kosuke$  schroot  -c sid-amd64
W: Failed to change to directory ‘/home/kevin’: No such file or directory
W: Falling back to directory ‘/’
I have no name!@kosuke:/$

So I can get a working sid chroot, but I don't get my original /home.
Just the empty one from the debootstrap.

Since I have the machine running an encrypted LVM setup, I wondered
whether that was causing problems.  So on another Debian machine with
no encryption or LVM I cleanly installed debootstrap and schroot
again, and still got the same results as above.

Playing with the encrypted disk/LVM setup, I tried changing the file
/etc/schroot/mount-defaults.

I changed the line:

  /home  /home  none  rw,bind  0  0

to:

  /dev/mapper/thinkpad--t400-home   /home  ext3   rw,bind  0  0

to correspond with how my /home is normally mounted. But that didn't work.

I ran schroot again with --debug=notice to generate output that can be
see at: http://pastebin.com/m5ed1f754

At the bottom of this same pastebin is the output from schroot -i.

Would appreciate any guidance if anyone has encountered this before.

--
Kevin Coyner