[buildd-tools-devel] schroot: /home not automatically bindmounting

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Sun Feb 7 14:07:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 10:50:37PM -0500, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> I've recently installed debootstrap and schroot on a testing setup so
> that I can build packages in unstable.
>
> I've got it more or less working except for being able to get /home/
> to automatically bind-mount my real /home.

OK.

> Since I have the machine running an encrypted LVM setup, I wondered
> whether that was causing problems.  So on another Debian machine with
> no encryption or LVM I cleanly installed debootstrap and schroot
> again, and still got the same results as above.

The encryption, AFAIK, shouldn't cause problems provided you can mount
the device.  If it's already mounted on /home, this isn't an issue.

> Playing with the encrypted disk/LVM setup, I tried changing the file
> /etc/schroot/mount-defaults.
>
> I changed the line:
>
>   /home  /home  none  rw,bind  0  0
>
> to:
>
>   /dev/mapper/thinkpad--t400-home   /home  ext3   rw,bind  0  0

This should work.  However, if /dev/mapper/thinkpad--t400-home is
already mounted on your /home, these are functionally equivalent.

> to correspond with how my /home is normally mounted. But that didn't work.
>
> I ran schroot again with --debug=notice to generate output that can be
> see at: http://pastebin.com/m5ed1f754

The output shows that none of the setup scripts were run, which are
responsible for mounting things.

> At the bottom of this same pastebin is the output from schroot -i.

From this output:

Type                  plain

plain type chroots don't run setup scripts.  Use type=directory.
See schroot.conf(5) for more information; there's a "Plain and
directory chroots" section which explains this.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh