[buildd-tools-devel] Question about sbuild failing to build libtool (using schroot).

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 8 18:54:37 UTC 2010

I am seeing a failure building libtool using sbuild.

The problem that happens is that the libtool version I am building
has a ~ in the version and sbuild when using the schroot build uses a
build directory that contains the full version string in the name, and
hence has a ~ in it.  libtool unfortunately in some test scripts uses ~
as the IFS in a script, which then ends up breaking the directory name
into two arguments and the test fails.  When building with
dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-source manually, the default directory name
is of course just packagename-upstreamversion, which avoids ~ and +
and such in general.

So my question is, should sbuild avoid using the full version in directory
names or should this be considered a bug in libtool and files as such?
I would suspect the latter is the right option.  I think libtool should
sanitize the input before assuming what it can use as a field seperator
and hence should be escaping the tilde in the directory name before
concatenating the arguments together with ~ as the seperator.

What do you think?

--
Len Sorensen