[buildd-tools-devel] Question about sbuild failing to build libtool (using schroot).

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Thu Jul 8 22:16:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 02:54:37PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I am seeing a failure building libtool using sbuild.
>
> The problem that happens is that the libtool version I am building
> has a ~ in the version and sbuild when using the schroot build uses a
> build directory that contains the full version string in the name, and
> hence has a ~ in it.  libtool unfortunately in some test scripts uses ~
> as the IFS in a script, which then ends up breaking the directory name
> into two arguments and the test fails.  When building with
> dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-source manually, the default directory name
> is of course just packagename-upstreamversion, which avoids ~ and +
> and such in general.
>
> So my question is, should sbuild avoid using the full version in directory
> names or should this be considered a bug in libtool and files as such?
> I would suspect the latter is the right option.  I think libtool should
> sanitize the input before assuming what it can use as a field seperator
> and hence should be escaping the tilde in the directory name before
> concatenating the arguments together with ~ as the seperator.
>
> What do you think?

Well, there's definitely a bug in libtool here.  '~' is a valid
character to use in pathnames (every character except '/' is valid
according to POSIX).

I would definitely recommend getting libtool fixed.  However, we
can also get sbuild to use the upstream version in its build
directory name.  I should note here that while this fixes the
problem of Debian versions containing a '~', nothing prevents
upstream versions from containing the same character, and so this
is really just papering over the problem.  In consequence, this
really does need fixing properly in libtool whether or not it
can be "mostly" fixed in sbuild.

Regards,
Roger

--