[buildd-tools-devel] gdm3: FTBFS ("`+' is an invalid character in a configuration, storage address")

peter green peter.green at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Thu Apr 5 11:02:39 UTC 2012

 >gdm3 FTBFS (when rebuilt against a newer CDBS to pick up hardening
 >flags); from the amd64 build log:

To clarify the actual issue is that gdm3 FTBFS when there is a + in the
name of the build directory because the build process tries to set a
gconf config dir under the build directory and gconf doesn't like
directory names containing +.

Current sbuild includes the complete version number including debian
revision in the build directory name (apt-get source, pbuilder and older
versions of sbuild use only the upstream version) so if there is a + in
the debian revision sbuild can't build the package (it can still be
built manually though).

So the question is how to deal with this, I see a few options

1: Simply avoid using + in debian revisions for gdm3 (which means
avoiding binnmus)
2: Make gconf accept + in the names configuration storage directories (I
have no idea how hard this would be)
3: Make the build store the temporary configuration stuff somewhere
other than the build tree (e.g. /tmp)
4: Change sbuild to only use the upstream version in the directory name
(like it did in the past)
5: Change sbuild to strip plus signs from the version number when making
the directory name

ccing sbuild maintainers for their comments on this.

P.S. i'm just taking a look at a rc bug, I do not have any relationship
to the package other than as a user.