[buildd-tools-devel] BinNMU changelog handling for Multi-Arch: same packages

Russ Allbery rra at debian.org
Wed Jul 11 16:10:03 UTC 2012

Raphael Hertzog <hertzog at debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> Wouldn't (1) be throwing away information, unless the stripped
>> information goes into another file?

>> Making the stripped info go into another file sounds fine to me.

> Yes, that's another possibility but this changelog entry is not so
> important that it has to be in the .deb file IMO. The information
> is already in the .changes file, and thus in the corresponding build
> logs.

> Both approaches are fine for me (i.e. throwing the entry away or
> diverting it to another file).

I don't think it's mandatory that we save the information, but it
certainly would be nice.  I'd like apt-listchanges to show me the binary
NMU changelog.  I've used that information before on the local system, and
that's a lot more convenient than going to the web and trying to do
archeology on what happened.

Saving the binary NMU changelog in a separate file feels like the right
solution to me.

--
Russ Allbery (rra at debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>