[buildd-tools-devel] Making sbuild releases

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Wed Oct 8 16:41:00 UTC 2014

+++ Wookey [2014-09-29 18:00 +0100]:

> thanks for the pointers. I think I can do an upload now :-) (and more
> usefully have been trained to do it again in the future...)

OK. So I just did my first debian update upload of the 'upstream' release, and noticed a couple more things that seem odd.

There is no debian/source/format file in the tree, but existing
releases in the archive have that file (set to 3.0 (quilt)) and create
a debian diff aginst an orig tarball with a suitable patch in debian/patches.

So how is this achieved? Are there magic git-buildpackage runes which
will transform the difference between two branches into 3.0 quilt
format? But the branches do not contain exactly the same things as a
release tarball (which is what sbuild-0.64.3.orig.tar.gz, is derived
from releases/sbuild-0.64.3 with make dist). So I'm not sure exactly
how that would work.

Also, as noted earlier scripts/test-driver is always missing unless
./bootstrap is run and doing that also changes 'upstream' files like
VERSION and Changelog, which doesn't seem right.

So for the time being I've added debian/source/format and jam
scripts/test-driver in by hand to make a release tarball then use
dpkg-source --commit to make the quilt patch for the diff to -2 from
existing sbuild-0.64.3.orig.tar.gz, but this seems like a lot of
makework and obvious signs of 'doing it wrong'.

What do you normally do to make debian -n releases?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/