[buildd-tools-devel] Suggesting RFH bug for sbuild

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Tue Sep 23 17:06:26 UTC 2014

+++ Wookey [2014-09-20 01:11 +0100]:
> +++ Bálint Réczey [2014-09-01 17:34 +0200]:
> > >
> > the motivation for
> > writing my previous email was finding people who would be interested
> > in regular contribution to the package, because I alone can't make a
> > real difference here IMO.

Answering myself...

> I use sbuild a lot and am interested in keeping it in a good state.
> I've finaly worked out how to make my git changes stick so I can
> actually upload things.

Are people happy if I add myself to the uploaders list and call this a
team upload? Or should I stick to NMUing for a while? I'm not sure
what the procedure is for co-ordinating this stuff?

> I'm currently very interested in having #608840 (Setup-commands run as
> root), #731798 (build profiles) and adding multiarch build-dep support
> so we can use these in Jessie. I've just uploaded a multiarch
> build-dep topic branch and will do branches for build-profiles and
> command-updates shortly.
>
> I intend to do an upload in the next few days, so if there is anything
> else simple that should obviouslybe included please shout. Geoffrey -
> if you have done work too, lets compare notes.
>
> I note that 760991 also adds more hook commands and is trivial apart
> from deciding on what best names are so I propose to merge that with
> 608840/607228.
>
> Regarding that last bug-pair. My existing patch changes
> --chroot-setup-commands to --chroot-user-setup-commands, which will
> break existing scripts that use it. Do we think it would be better to
> leave this unchanged and simply add --chroot-system-setup-commands? I
> like the consistency of my patch (having --chroot-user-setup-commands
> and --chroot-system-setup-commands), but backwards compatibility is
> perhaps more important here?

I decided to stick to backwards-compatibility here rather than neat
naming. The hook names are a mess anyway. I've added a load of info to
the man page to help clarify it all (which hooks are used when and
which user they run as).

> Or alternatively just run --chroot-setup-commands as root, in line
> with the other setup/cleanup command, and thus have no command run as
> user instead of root? I still don't know what the use-case is for the
> run-as-sbuild-user setup command.

I'd really like to know if there is a good reason for keeping the
non-root commands around.

> If this is at all controversial I'll just upload sbuild with the
> multiarch-build fix, build-profile support, and anything else is
> generally agreed should go in.

Well, no-one complained yet so I guess it's not too controversial :-)

Will do some final tests on what I have and push to git/tag/upload tomorrow.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/