[buildd-tools-devel] Offer my help

Roger Leigh rleigh at codelibre.net
Mon Sep 29 14:56:41 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:41:48PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Roger Leigh [2014-09-28 09:45 +0100]:
>
> > WRT the package being "Debian-only" it's actually using proper
> > upstream versioning so we have a regular .orig. and .diff.gz like
> > for any other package.  Not sure if that's related, just not
> > entirely clear on the specific question.
>
> Yes - that's what I meant by 'upstream'. What exactly is the .orig a
> tarball of, in relation to the various git branches?
> If I do 'git-buildpackage' on master it says:
> "upstream/0.64.3 is not a valid treeish"
> which perhaps means I am using the wrong git-buildpackage runes (are
> the right ones recorded somewhere?) or there should be some kind of
> 'upstream' branch (but I don't see any in git branch -va), or maybe
> that there is some tagging procedure required before trying a build?

"make dist" gets you the actual release.  Rename that to .orig.xxx and
that's ready to build.

In this sense, sbuild.git is a proper autotooled "upstream" project.
sbuild.git is released by making a signed tag and then running
bootstrap, configure and make dist, and the tarball generated is the
actual release for packaging/uploading (it just happens to already
contain the debian/ stuff).  For this reason, it's not directly
buildable from git with git-buildpackage TTBOMK.

I'll go through the release process and document the steps properly.
It's not particularly complex, but it is mainly only in my head at
the moment.

Regards,
Roger

--