[buildd-tools-devel] Making sbuild releases

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Mon Sep 29 17:00:44 UTC 2014

+++ Roger Leigh [2014-09-29 15:56 +0100]:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 12:41:48PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> > +++ Roger Leigh [2014-09-28 09:45 +0100]:

[crossed mails]

> "make dist" gets you the actual release.  Rename that to .orig.xxx and
> that's ready to build.

OK. that works much better than the make distcheck suggested in HACKING

> In this sense, sbuild.git is a proper autotooled "upstream" project.
> sbuild.git is released by making a signed tag and then running
> bootstrap, configure and make dist, and the tarball generated is the
> actual release for packaging/uploading (it just happens to already
> contain the debian/ stuff).  For this reason, it's not directly
> buildable from git with git-buildpackage TTBOMK.

OK, that all makes sense.

> I'll go through the release process and document the steps properly.
> It's not particularly complex, but it is mainly only in my head at
> the moment.

with the exception of s/distcheck/dist/ and using _just_ the resulting
tarball for the dpkg-buildpackage step, I seem to have deduced most of
it.

as that's now working I've just committed the 'release 0.63' commit
(which I also forgot to attach to the last mail).

I don't think you need to respond to most of that, just maybe the
widers Q's, like 'should we use autoreconf'. And updating the HACKING
file would make life easier for anyone else trying to do this.

thanks for the pointers. I think I can do an upload now :-) (and more
usefully have been trained to do it again in the future...)

Wookey
http://wookware.org/