[buildd-tools-devel] Making sbuild releases

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Tue Sep 30 01:26:38 UTC 2014

+++ Roger Leigh [2014-09-29 21:22 +0100]:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 05:46:20PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> >
> > I found the HACKING file which actually gives some useful details.
> >
> > However it seys to use 'make check' which is good advice but as a
> > makefile is not built directly in the source tree you need to run it
> > elsewhere. It seems to build in debian/build but running make check in
> > there does not work due to 'wrong number of ../'
> >
> > Running make -f debian/rules/Makefile check works OK
>
> It may be the case that the test scripts don't work out-of-tree.  You
> certainly can run
>
>   ./configure --enable-chroot-checks
>
> and then "make check".  The option here enables checks which require
> a working schroot/sbuild setup on the host system.

That only works if ./bootstrap has also been run, to generate scripts/test-driver

I guess that's not actually intended behaviour and could be fixed,
although it's not very important. I've documented it in HACKING for
now.

Do you expect 'make check' to work other than as root? Despite my
schroot 'unstable' having root-groups=sbuild (and me being a member of
sbuild) the tests only run successfully as 'sudo make check'.

> > make distcheck fails near the end with recipie for target 'distcleancheck' failed:
> > EROR: files left in build directory after distclean
> > <list of manpages>
>
> Hmm, that could be a bug in the Makefile.am.
>
> See the bottom of configure.ac and man/Makefile.am.  The manpages are
> preprocessed by configure (config.status) to add the release version and
> date etc.  And symlinks are created on install/uninstall.  Are the listed
> manpages "real" or symlinks?  Or both?

real files in <gitcheckoutdir>/sbuild-0.64.3/_build/man/

I've had a short peer at the autofoo which looks sensible. It's not
obvious why they aren't getting tidied when everything else is, so
I'll come back to that...

> > Also ./bootstrap currently runs autoreconf, but the normal package
> > build doesn't. In line with the rest of debian we should probably be
> > re-autoconfing during build. Anybody have philosophical obhjections to
> > that?
>
> Not me.  The bootstrap is needed to set the version number from NEWS,
> update the ChangeLog etc. when building from git.  But for the debian
> package build itself, should be absolutely fine to autoreconf as needed.

OK. will update this in next release.

> > Should I update the HACKING file to clarify the stuff I've stumbled over above?
>
> That would be greatly appreciated.

done

Wookey
http://wookware.org/