[buildd-tools-devel] [RfC] Honor chroot personality in setup service script

Jan-Marek Glogowski glogow at fbihome.de
Thu Feb 5 14:17:12 UTC 2015

Hi *,

schroot allows to set a Linux personality for chroots, e.g. to run a
32bit chroot on a 64bit system. And there is a schroot setup script to
start services when entering the schroot. But these service setup script
ignores the personality; that's my problem.

I'm building packages inside an 32bit schroot using icecc. As a
consequence the icecc daemon thinks it's running on a 64bit system,
which actually breaks the build, as this somehow produces 64bit object
files, even if the schroot process honors the personality and configure
uses 32bit.

So I've basically derivated a small schroot helper "schroot-impersonate"
from "schroot-mount", which understands the schroot personality types
and starts a command with the chroots personality. This program is now
used in the service setup script and fixes my build problem.

The two attached patches:

For schroot 1.6: was tested with the schroot-wheezy-backport git branch.
At applies to schroot-1.6 FWIW. The original patch was done 1/2 year
ago, but I did some cleanup and just a quick test and it still "seems to
work".

For schroot 1.7: was just compile tested - I currently don't have a
jessie environment.

Thanks for any comments

Jan-Marek