[buildd-tools-devel] [RfC] Honor chroot personality in setup service script

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Feb 5 14:57:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 05, 2015 at 03:17:12PM +0100, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> schroot allows to set a Linux personality for chroots, e.g. to run a
> 32bit chroot on a 64bit system. And there is a schroot setup script to
> start services when entering the schroot. But these service setup script
> ignores the personality; that's my problem.
>
> I'm building packages inside an 32bit schroot using icecc. As a
> consequence the icecc daemon thinks it's running on a 64bit system,
> which actually breaks the build, as this somehow produces 64bit object
> files, even if the schroot process honors the personality and configure
> uses 32bit.

Does running 'linux32 schroot -c whatever' solve it?  After all linux32
just makes uname return i686 or whatever instead of x86_64.  I thought
schroot did that too when you told it the chroot should be 32 bit.

personality=linux32 in the schroot config should do that for you.

Certainly that works for me, and nothing has ever thought it was on a
64bit system inside the chroot with that setting.

--
Len Sorensen