[CJKUnifonts-devel] Links in CJKUnifont project on freedesktop wiki don't work anymore

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 03:46:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Walter Cheuk <wwycheuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> If we can't contact the original author, could we just fork the
> project and start a new one?

Yes. We can.

Did anyone here download the source files/ template files (fontforge
sfd file) and resources before? That will be better than ttf/ttc files
which lose some details and save us time to recreate those reference
files.

Anyway, we can still use fontforge to read ttf/ttc and export sfd file
again, so that won't be a big problem.

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Anyone who cares about open CJK fonts might have known that Adobe and
>> Google released open font project as Source Han Sans / Noto Sans CJK for
>> Heiti style.
>>
>> I do believe open CJK font of Mingti / Sungti style still needs attention
>> and work to get better. I try to learn the tutorial on project wiki and
>> want to get involved in this project but in the end I found that all links
>> on the wiki which link to canonical site did not work anymore. Source file
>> and template file could not be downloaded.
>>
>> Tutorial:
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/CJKUnifonts/Resources/Tutorial/
>>
>> And I found that CJKUnifont project on freedesktop wiki did not update
>> since 2008/02/16. There is no further release either.
>>
>> I tried to contact the project leader, Arne, about this issue and sent
>> several mails to him via the address provided on the wiki since Aug 23.
>> However, I don't receive any response until today.
>>
>> So I would like to ask anyone who has the permission to update the wiki and
>> who have those latest files downloaded could help fix the content. This
>> might be the last method and chance we could come up with to make this
>> project alive again.
>>
>> If we fail, that would be another big loss besides WenQuanYi project (there
>> is no further releases since 2009) in the history of open CJK font, and may
>> FLOSS community who use CJK font will memorize the gorgeous work which
>> CJKUnifonts project had achieved.

Cheers,
by Cheng-Chia Tseng