[Collab-maint-devel] Re: Collaborative maintenance, time to work

Daniel Ruoso daniel at ruoso.com
Mon Feb 6 21:52:42 UTC 2006

Some ideas...

1) VCS -> deb-src
One thing I think would be really interesting is to provide a apt
deb-src service for packages maintained in a VCS repository...
Like... if package foo is maintained in CVS with cvs-buildpackage, a
line in sources.list should be enough to do an "apt-get source foo" and
get the lastest CVS version (defined by the last changelog entry in HEAD
that has a debian_version_x_x_x-y tag defined)...

2) Repository for each group of maintainers
It would be nice if the group had its own archive. This brings:
a) each group to have its own "experimental" archive
b) In some cases (gnome is one I can think, but X and several others
apply), the group would have how to control the release of a new
upstream release in a cooler way, I mean, gnome development cycle is
different from debian's, but it would be nice to have a repository for
the lastest unstable gnome and for the stable gnome.
c) bring backports.org closer, providing the infra-estructure to build
each of these versions against sid and sarge...

cooool... that's almost componentized linux...

daniel

P.S.: CC me, I'm not on the list...