[cut-team] Ideas for the rolling release

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Mon Aug 16 11:58:14 UTC 2010

On 16/08/10 at 12:27 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Montag, 16. August 2010, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > "rolling" is a new suite, similar to testing, that aims at providing
> > something constantly usable for end users.
>
> "constantly usable for end users" sounds like stable to me ;-p

Not the same end users as the ones using stable (or at least not to
fullfill the same need).

> > As a bonus, we get a better name ("testing" is not really great for
> > marketing).
>
> speaking of marketing, when you start with marketing the results of the CUT
> initiative, please take extra care not to sound like stable is obsolete,
> outdated, unusable, just because *you* think so. (This *you* is a plural you,
> not specifically targeted at Lucas...)

Sure. Also, I don't think that stable is obsolete. And I'm a happy
stable user on many machines.

I think that stable is great for production servers, and
desktops/laptops of users who prioritize stability and reliability over
getting the latest cutting edge software, etc.

But there's also a large number of systems where occasional breakages
are OK if the counterpart is more recent software. This is proven by the
large number of users who use Ubuntu, Debian testing/unstable or Sidux
(I'm not saying that those solutions provide the same thing to users).
The typical users for Debian rolling are powerusers or developers who
can fix or workaround the occasional breakages themselves when it's
easy, and who will run rolling on his laptop/desktop/non-critical server
while running stable on more critical systems.

- Lucas