[cut-team] openSUSE experimenting with a rolling release

Adnan Hodzic adnan at foolcontrol.org
Tue Dec 21 04:54:56 UTC 2010

@Stefano,

> What I find interesting, is that they seem to be going through some of
> the very same arguments we have seen in Debian (e.g. "will a rolling
> release divert attention away from stable release (too much)?", "will a
> rolling release induce extra burden on package maintainers?").

Yes, definitely interesting, but it's a new ground for every
distribution out there, so some questions can't be answered until this
model is experienced on your own skin :)

But by OpenSuse proposing the same idea, can be a mean pointer how
likely this will become a future model for possibly all linux
distributions/platforms out there at some point in future.

@Davi,

> Each user type chooses what best fit his requirements. IMHO maybe CUT will be
> used more by desktop users while Debian stable will continue to be used more
> on servers.

I'm 100% sure CUT will be mostly used by desktop users. It's a highly
debatable topic, but I think today Debian Stable is actually rarely
used on desktop, especially notebooks.

> CUT is what Debian needs after Squeeze release.

Definitely!

> It is the time for CUT and openSUSE talking of it just proves it.

Of course, only sad thing is that Debian could've been ahead of
OpenSuse with this one long time ago :(

Adnan