[cut-team] .deb testing on install? wow cut would be so cool!

Mark Hedges hedges at formdata.biz
Tue Oct 5 23:22:35 UTC 2010

I frequently ran into the problem as an average admin that
the hardware I was given wouldn't work unless I used
testing.  Then stuff broke on upgrades and they got mad.

Maybe there could be an automation feature built into deb
packages that could run them through basic tests once
installed.  Optional for the installer, probably, since it
might take a long time.

For cmdline clients, make sure they run and options do
stuff.  For graphical clients, make sure the window opens.
That kind of thing.

That could also be really useful for making sure apps built
on Debian continued to function when dependencies are
upgraded.

I'm also looking forward to the future potential of
cowdancer.  Debian rocks!

Mark