[cut-team] CUT Implemented in 8 Lines of Shell

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:37:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 15:29:04 +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:01:41AM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:46:23 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > How are you going to provide btrfs support in your stable installer?
> >
> > Like I've said before, my interest is in providing something for users
> > that wants a system that "just works".  This kind of user doesn't know
> > what btrfs is, and would be confused if it were even mentioned.
> >
> > Users that like new/experimental features can always attempt an install
> > with the in-development testing d-i.  My approach makes no effort to
> > address prevent them from doing that.
>
> ... or an installer that works at all on their hardware which was
> released after the last Debian stable release and needed kernel changes
> to enable it.  Do be a little careful of how you present this, as it may
> confuse users otherwise.

Right, like I mentioned in the "Rethinking CUT" thread, that is the
major drawback to this approach.  A partial solution would be to
include a list of known unsupported hardware (that would be supported
in the in-development d-i) in the testing-snapshot udeb and present
that at the beginning of the installation.

Best wishes,
Mike