[cut-team] CUT Implemented in 8 Lines of Shell

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Wed Sep 15 06:02:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > What are you trying to prove?
>
> I've demonstrated that a CUT implementation is possible using existing
> infrastructure.  No proofs, lets leave that to the mathematicians :)

Sorry if I have been somewhat harsh in my first reply but I really had the
impression that you wanted to prove that the current implementation plan
of CUT is overkill and not needed.

And your proposal is really only a hack IMO:
- snapshot.d.o is not meant to be used by lots of end users at the same
  time, it has no mirror network and really can't due to the completely
  insane size it takes over time
- snapshot.d.o is read-only, we can't add/remove/modify packages in a
  given snapshot

> Users that like new/experimental features can always attempt an install
> with the in-development testing d-i.  My approach makes no effort to
> address prevent them from doing that.

CUT wants to bring the latest working feature to all users. Advanced or
not.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)