[cut-team] Where do we go from here?

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 16:24:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:04:33 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in case you haven't noticed, I published a summary of the discussions
> in a LWN article:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/406301/
> Or this link if you're not subscriber:
> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/406301/bd522adc828b3461/
>
> A discussion spontaneously started on -devel yesterday[1] a few hours before
> the article was published. Thus lucas posted[2] a link to my article in the
> thread to solicit comments.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/09/msg00484.html
> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/09/msg00529.html
>
> While this summary is useful, and while the -devel discussion might
> provide new insights, it's time IMO to see who's ready to put work into
> this project. And then to reach out to other teams who are impacted. And
> then to take decisions.
>
> Are you ready to work on snapshots? If yes, do you have conditions?

Personally, I am not interested in working on snapshots since I see
that as a trivial problem.  I am, however, interested in working on
solutions for a Constantly Installable Testing.  Once that's in place,
snapshots are just a dist-upgrade (as I've already demonstrated).

> Are you ready to work on rolling? If yes, do you have conditions?

I find rolling less interesting since I think package removals are a
sane approach to release management, and they're always available in
unstable anyway. However, I can see how it does affect a small
minority of testing-only users. My interest there is making sure that
the simplest solution is chosen/implemented, and I may try to help a
bit.

Best wishes,
Mike