[cut-team] On getting cut/rolling officially supported...

Raphael Hertzog hertzog at debian.org
Mon Sep 27 15:04:01 UTC 2010

Hi,

while discussing rolling with Roland Mas (on IRC), he pointed out
that he's not ready to support his fusionforge package in rolling
and/or in between CUT snapshots. While he deals with bug reports
on the sid version, he does so only in a way to ensure good upgrades from
stable to stable and usually leaves bugs open for quite a long time
before attending to them. He just ensures that bugs are fixed
before the next stable release.

This is a workflow that might not be representative of a large part of the
packages, but it goes towards the principle that testing is supported by
the developers.

He suggests that if we want to announce rolling/cut as being
"supported/endorsed", we need to have an opt-in system.

I wonder if we should not have a GR of principle on the idea
that we want to create a "rolling" distribution with regular snapshots
and that packages maintainers will have a way to opt-out if nobody is
willing to support the package in the new distributions.

Your comments are welcome.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)