[cut-team] a special cut-announce mailing list and combo with live-build ?

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 20:13:17 UTC 2011

shirish wrote:

> Hi all,
> I know it probably is too early for the project but it would be nice
> if there is an announce mail list which we can subscribe to. As it
> would just be one mail per month it would be easy to track of as now
> one has either depend upon DPN (Debian Project News) or try to find
> out from the Debian wiki the cut page and then try it out.
>
> For this you have to assume that the user knows what that there is
> something called CUT and figure out where it is .
>
> The official page cdimage.debian.org or www.debian.org/CD does not
> point or tell that there is a project by the name CUT so the
> visibility of the project is already low and would not get exposure to
> be tested which it should.

That's because the current effort is unofficial, and we wouldn't want
to change that (yet).  That will remain as the source for official
media.

> The second point is, does CUT think at any point to have some
> integration with the live-builds http://www.debian.org/CD/live/ .

This isn't in the current plan; although an interested volunteer could
certainly look into that.

> From what little I know of the project, what the project tries to do.
> Take the most recent yet known (or does not have any major bug-reports
> at installation time) of the weekly D-I (Debian Installer), take some
> minimum core set of packages from Testing and let people get some
> fresh packages.

That isn't the current plan.  See [0] for a slightly outdated
discussion on the snapshot plan.

> Now, again what little I know of the live-builds is the idea that
> people love having a LIVE CD, something which works outta the box
> without having to install. This has been a WIP (Work in Progress) for
> around a year now.
>
> I do not know whether the above suggestion (to have CUT+Live in the
> same CD/DVD) be a pre-mature project idea but it would certainly be
> cool. Imagine knowing beforehand whether all the packages work or not
> (of testing) without installing.
>
> If CUT already is/has live features then please excuse. Haven't really
> tried CUT (am on unstable) .

CUT isn't related to Debian live at all right now, but then again,
interested persons can contribute if they're interested in that kind
of feature.

Best wishes,
Mike