[cut-team] Installer Issue

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 07:02:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Richard Ratzer wrote:
> Hello cut-team,
>
> first respect to your work, I'm a fan of your project.

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words.

> This weekend I had an installer issue with my pretty new toy (Processor=AMD
> FX-6100, Board=ASUS M5A88-M, Video=Onboard or Radeon HD6850).
> I could configure the install options, then booting was OK, but with the
> next step I had always a system freeze.
> Directly with the appearence of the next point (choosing the language).
> An installation was not possible.

I assume this was version 2011.12?  Unfortunately, even with a quick
monthly release cycle, there will be some unsupported very new
hardware at times.

> If you want want more details, infos or tests give a reply.
> Note: During the week I'm not available, but on weekends!

It may help if you can describe whether this was an issue with the
graphical or text installer (or both), and if you can catch what's
going on in tty4 (press ALT+4); although since this sounds like a
fixed problem in the nightly builds, its probably not worth spending
too much effort on it.

> ... but with the testing-amd64-businesscard installation I had an other
> issue.
> I think something broken around mythes-de. I guess #651429, Sid & Testing!
> With a trick I could complete the installation, but this took plenty of
> time.

That's one of the problems with the existing testing release. My
thoughts on broken package installation/upgrade issues would be a
piuparts upgrade check on transitions from unstable before allowing
the package to enter testing.  Getting something like that implemented
would require some coordination with the release team, and patches for
the britney migration scripts before that.

Best wishes,
Mike