[cut-team] Using the CUT ftp server

Michael Gilbert michael.s.gilbert at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 20:58:22 UTC 2011

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 13:53:38 +0100 Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2011, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:20:30 -0500 Michael Gilbert wrote:
> > > OK, so since this is still on alioth, and the alioth admins have
> > > requested disk cleanup, what should I do?  I can just move the files
> > > there, but that doesn't really solve their disk space issue.  It just
> > > eliminates my user account as a specific culprit.
> >
> > I'm going to go ahead and move the files over to the CUT ftp drop;
> > however, it looks like anonymous writes are disallowed.  I don't know
> > if a login with my alioth credentials will change that, but then again
> > I'm also not willing to send them over cleartext.  Is there a location
> > on alioth that I can scp the files to that corresponds to the ftp
> > directory?
>
> Honestly, I don't want to see your experiment endorsed as something
> officially done under the CUT umbrella.

How is the project going to make any interesting progress if alternative
viewpoints are seen as something to be stifled?

> Your point of views are at odds with what many people think/want here.

So?  I tend to find the status quo rather dull, and wouldn't have it
any other way.  I find creativity exciting.  Hey, at least it makes for
somewhat entertaining conversation ;)

> (And you can't do it anyway, you are not part of the CUT project on
> alioth.debian.org... don't you know how a forge works?)

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.  I requested to be a part of it
yesterday foreseeing that exact problem.

Anyway, I have an implementation and plan for monthly snapshots.  I
don't *have* to call it a part of CUT, but I would like to.  I'm going
to send a draft announcement for the March release to this list, and
will fully address any feedback before making that a quasi-official
announcement.

Best wishes,
Mike