[D-community-discuss] NewbieDOC documentation project

Chris Lale chrislale at untrammelled.co.uk
Sun Feb 25 18:26:01 CET 2007

Chris Lale wrote:
> Holger Levsen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Do you have an idea how to use mediawiki to keep translations in
>> sync? Because I believe localisation is _one_ key to make
>> debian-community.org a success ;-)
>>

> MediaWiki is the software developed and used by Wikipedia. I know that
> Wikipedia is accessible in multiple languages (see
> http://wikipedia.org/). I do have not have direct experience of doing
> this, but I think it involves running a subwiki or a different
> namespace for each language and using "interlanguage links" (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Multilingual_coordination). As
> with everything else in a wiki, you need a community willing to patrol
> the pages regularly. I find RSS very useful for getting prompt
> notification of new and changed pages, but a mailing list would be
> needed for a larger project.

I've found it now: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Interwiki_linking
and http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family.
Basically, you create a wiki family and then link pages in one wiki to
pages in another. There seem to be several ways of doing this, but I
think that it would depend, to some extent, on the hosting provider. The
way forward would be to try it out on a local machine first when ideas
have been firmed up a bit more.

--
Chris.