[D-community-offtopic] [OT] Posting styles (now PGP)

Chris Bannister cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Apr 8 15:49:21 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 11:46:11PM +1000, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 08/04/12 22:36, Chris Bannister wrote:
> You're trying too hard. That path leads to paranoia.
>
> That using encryption might make people suspicious is no reason not to
> use encryption. Quite the reverse. If people you don't wish to share
> your information with want to know your business - use encryption.
>
> You propose that because communications "might" be under surveillance
> [*1] you should *not* secure communications with encryption. Huh?
> I refuse to sing "Is this glove that I'm feeling" in the hope that
> shifty eyed people don't look at me - but you pick your own music ;-p

Whoa! whoa! I agree entirely. I am a strong believer in privacy and have
some quite heated discussions with people who think that if you have
nothing to hide then you shouldn't be worried.

[snipped stuff which I completely agree with.]

> >> would make a compelling reason *to* encrypt email.
> >
> > I said  "... that *if suddenly* two people start encrypting ... "
>
> Which I read and quoted.
> <snipped>

But obviously missing my point.

> > Some people say that if you get a laptop with a finger identification
> > setup on it you are safer, I say, the opposite, I want to keep all my
> > fingers.
>
> Too much Hollywood (or lead paint, the symptoms are similar).

Are they?  So a thug who sniffs lead paint while watching a Quentin
Tarantino movie who wants to get into your laptop which uses finger
identification, even though it might be disabled or the driver doesn't
work, doesn't at least put a bit of a chill up your spine?

[snipped stuff which I completely agree with.]

> And lastly on that subject - are you the guy who *hasn't* seen the XKCD
> $5 spanner joke? :-)

Guilty.

   -- Napoleon Bonaparte