[D-community-offtopic] Unwanted Advertising

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Wed Apr 10 18:39:49 UTC 2013

Chris Bannister wrote:
> [Forgive the replying to spam, but in real terms this list is for off
> topic discussions that don't belong on debian-user, I'm not sure if
> it is really that easy to distinguish ham and spam anyway. Although, in
> this case, yeah, it definitely is spam.]

I don't think it matters much for the Alioth mailing lists.  They are
completely different and separate from the "official" Debian mailing
lists.  The normal mailing lists use Smartlist and have a Procmail
based frontend with custom anti-spam measures.  The Alioth mailing
lists use Mailman and as far as I know do not have anywhere near the
same level of anti-spam available.  Mailman is rather limited.

> [Probably a bit silly to feed off topic lists through [the|a|your] spam
> filter anyway.]

Well...  It isn't us the subscribers doing this but the list admins
who are feeding the messages into a Bayes engine for classification.
And I am very happy they are doing it.  By percentage there is very
little spam to debian-user.  Although I have extensive anti-spam for
my personal email I don't feed any mailing list traffic through it.
It just doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you for appropriately changing the subject and so forth to
keep the auto-learning engines from doing the wrong thing though.
Good deal.

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 02:51:30AM +0000, unwanted advertiser wrote:
> > Dear Sir or Madam,
> >
> > Bluetooth keyboard is very morden product which can work with tablet
> > PC which has bluetooth fuction . Various types are available , It
> > can offer you fast taping when you use the PC.
>
> Interesting, so it has a slot for holding a cassette tape for recording
> keystrokes. hmmm.
>
> (I presume they mean typing?, could be tapping.)

I wish that poor spelling and grammar were a sign of spam.  But all
too often it is the typical non-spam message these days.

I have a vision of a fast tape gun dispenser as used in a shipping dock.

But perhaps it is something tapping, something rapping, something
tapping at my tablet door.  Only this, and nothing more.

Bob

P.S. My config for signing my mail was off because this is
lists.alioth.debian.org not lists.debian.org.  I have changed that for
future mailings.  I will mention it here so that I can honestly say
that I always sign my Debian messages to prevent spoofing.

P.P.S.  Yes, I was actually previously spoofed.  That is when I
started signing my messages.