[D-community-offtopic] Whistle blowing

AP worldwithoutfences at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 06:56:42 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> I disagree.

> Ralph perhaps you might find utility in choosing to make "owning"
> statements more often - like "_I_ dislike Gnome3", or even better "I
> dislike DBUS because jackd has a dependency on dbus and won't run
> unless dbus is first running, and when I run dbus, then my favourite
> email program causes 'urgency' messages to appear on my desktop which
> I don't like".

> When genuine technical issue is spoken, then there is a chance that
> the problem can be fixed, or bug report made etc. And this type of
> discussions feels fruitful to others on the list, people see we are
> working together, we are (may be slowly) fixing problems by reporting
> bugs and fixing actual problems.

> Ralph, I am giving these examples because you make it easy for people
> to shout "troll!"
> When you or me or anyone makes broad-brush stroke statements of
> assumed fact and absolute truth, which is in reality (ie in the words
> written in the email), no more than personal opinion, then the
> statement-maker is an easy target for "you are a troll!" accusations.

> It is not only ok, but a good thing, for all of us on debian-user for
> example, to encourage each other to keep discussions on-topic,
> especially when they go too far off-topic.

> Of course we on debian-user want to encourage _Debian_ usage, and want
> our debian-user list to be not swamped with emails or whole threads
> promoting other GNU/Linux distributions and/ or dissing Debian
> GNU/Linux and/ or "bagging" or bad-mouthing debian software on grounds
> that are not clearly stated (opinion, or user-interface, or
> low-level).

I have to agree with you Zenaan here. It is easy to shout someone
"troll" but when oneself does anything and cannot hear to be called as
"troll".....

When you say to encourage _Debian_ usage..., I appreciate it the
language you used...so gentle! And it is one of the very important
factor to be considered here.