[D-community-offtopic] Whistle blowing

Chris Bannister cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Dec 9 05:36:54 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 12:45:11PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> If you blow the whistle against a nation or big company you're a hero,
> if you do the same for Linux you're a troll :D.

You're a hero to some people and a "non hero" (dissident?) to others.
There are some people "blowing the whistle"¹ everyday about this/that
(remember those guys with sandwich boards "the world is ending
tomorrow") then there are those with a genuine concern (e.g. Snowden,
Manning etc.) which makes the average² citizen stop in their tracks and
take notice.

Also the term "blow the whistle" implies that something is being leaked
(i.e. unknown to the "average" linux user.) Considering, that 9x% (where
x is an integer.) is done in the open, then the term whistleblower does
not make sense! People hear the word, are confused then quite rightly
are alerted (on their toes(?)) to anything else that is said.

> Linux folks are as good + as bad as anybody on this planet too.

If you mean "they are human", then obviously yes! That statement
detracts from the issues at hand.

> Trust your emotions + experiences + research + off-all-list-discussions
> with folks who don't want to make things public on their own.

What is "off-all-list-discussions"?  Do you trust your emotions all the
time? There is a term "calm down and count to ten", therefore "Trust
your emotions" can't be true all the time. IOW, that is very vague. What
are you trying to say?

> _Nothing_ is objective. Don't get me wrong, I neither believe in
> averaged conspiracy theories, nor in Linux only conspiracy theories.

What is an "averaged conspiracy theory"?
http://www.debunking911.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_controlled_demolition_conspiracy_theories
http://www.twf.org/News/Y2007/1017-Achilles.html
etc.
Can a plane bring down a building in a controlled demolition style way?
And yet the 3rd tower falls in a controlled demolition style way without
a plane flying into it!
http://www.banderasnews.com/0808/edop-wtc7nist.htm
I think you are using the term "average" incorrectly.

> Self-response = take care for what ever you prefer for your limited live
> time. Nobody is good or bad, philosophy doesn't know the terms "good"
> and "bad" in a way it's common.

I believe a better way to look at things is "cost benefit analysis".
People do silly things, things they regret etc. But what has this got to
do with anything.

> Take care and take a rest ... after a while build your own subjective
> opinion. You only have one life. Life after death is a paradox, since
> death is for the end.

Thanks, Dr Ralph! :)

> Everything is perfect for Linux, we are all the same, the trolls are
> trolls. Wow! ;) For my point of view it sounds a little bit fascist,
> just my subjective, manipulative opinion.
>
> Don't forget to go to church at Holy feasts!
>
> What do you think about making PMs public? What ever you recommend, I

PM = Prime Minister?

> never ever will make a PM public, but take an educated guess. How do you
> value whistleblowing as long as it is to conform with your point of
> view?
>
> Is there some double standard?

I'm not sure if you are the Dr or the patient! :) Seriously, consider the
difference between a "blog post" and a "ML post" IOW, just because the
list is marked for OT discussion, doesn't mean you can use it as a place
for blogging.

¹ Discussing technical issues or Linux development is not "blowing the
whistle". By using the term "blowing the whistle" you already are
muddying the waters.

² What is average? Are you meaning it for normal, accepted, ...?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X