[D-community-offtopic] A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

Linux-Fan Ma_Sys.ma at web.de
Sun Dec 8 19:50:51 UTC 2013

On 12/08/2013 07:54 PM, AP wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Replying to each email with "I see", "OK", "Thank you" usually means
>> that the sender comes from a Windows background
>
> This is true.
>
>> They think it's like conversation.
>
> This is also true.
>
>> It's not.
>
> Okay...not I got this..... I think we people can easily chat here too!

I think there are some reasons why you should not "chat" on mailing lists:

1. Many people will read your mail long after it was sent when the
   content has already become meaningless.
2. Mailing lists are archived and the archives are intended to help
   people who stumble across the same issue later. A thread which is
   needlessly extended by messages without important content might make
   it harder to follow the thread to find the solution especially when
   it is not marked by a "[solved]" or a final summary.
3. Mails are heavier than IRC statements (full headers, signatures,
   and quotes from the previous thread are included). This means that it
   will cost people who log in after a "conversation" on a mailing list
   has taken place will have to download a lot of messages of similar
   sizes to those which contain real information. Posting a simple "OK"
   costs about as much bandwidth (if you quote properly) as a normal
   answer (like this message).
4. I am sure there are more reasons which I can just not think of now.
   GIYF.

On the other hand, I do not mind anyone posting non-technical messages
to this offtopic list because that is it's intention.

Linux-Fan

--
http://masysma.ohost.de/