[D-community-offtopic] How can I backup a Win XP by the same script I use to backup my Linux?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 15 08:55:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 11:27 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> Most probably the driver. As a customer you could try writing to the
> chipset makers to contribute to the Linux driver.

That's a OT story. I did this a long time ago. RME is willing to help
ALSA developers, but I don't get response from the ALSA developers.
Perhaps a personal aversion against me by the ALSA guys, perhaps just an
issue regarding to "short of time" or both ;D.

> As far as I recall Windows is difficult (impossible?) to backup
> file-based. I would rather suggest you use one of the partition cloning
> tools (CloneZilla, PartImage, dd(rescue), etc.) and just backup the
> entire partition.

Perhaps I should call a tool by my backup script, e.g. clonezilla by
CLI, but I had dd in mind. I'm just unsure, if it does work to dd the
NTFS partition to a another partition, NTFS or ext, with another size,
but still with enough (more) space and I'm not sure how to use options
such as "bs" and "count".

I wrote:
> > Does
> >
> > # dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc2
> >
> > do a backup, I can restore with
> >
> > # dd if=/dev/sdc2 of=/dev/sdb1
> >
> > ?

Would it be that simple? Without "bs" and "count"? Backuped on the first
partition that comes along?

Regards,
Ralf