[D-community-offtopic] How can I backup a Win XP by the same script I use to backup my Linux?

Linux-Fan Ma_Sys.ma at web.de
Wed May 15 17:03:41 UTC 2013

On 05/15/2013 10:08 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Does
>
> # dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/sdc2
>
> do a backup, I can restore with
>
> # dd if=/dev/sdc2 of=/dev/sdb1
>
> ?
>
> bs and count? MBRs already will be copied by the script that does copy
> my Linux.

As far as I know, bs could only improve performace but is not strictly
necessary. The problem is: To restore the backup you need the exactly
same partition-layout and (important for Windows) the Hardware (or even
AHCI vs. IDE mode with SATA drives) may not be changed. If you plan to
restore on the same hardware (except for the hard drive) and connect the
hard drive to the same port having restored the partition layout it
should be ok.

HTH
Linux-Fan

--