[D-community-offtopic] Why should I use a libre instead of a proprietary operating system?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon May 20 08:11:46 UTC 2013

Why should I use a libre instead of a proprietary operating system, when
I'm not a computer freak and I don't care about what you freaks call
issues?

I experienced something funny with an iPad I won. It's used as PDF
reader only and not connected to the Internet, but I got an
Apple-ClickandBuy bill. They want 0.89 EUR for nothing.
Some research showed me, that people using it intensively with all kinds
of apps, connected to the Internet, OFTEN get bills for nothing in the
range of 50 to 900 EUR.

Why is it impossible to download zero-priced software, if you don't give
them your bank connection? A rhetorical question ;).

Do research yourself and then decide, if this is a risk you like.

A Déjà vu for me, IIRC this happens for the second time to me. I don't
care, since it's more expensive to take steps for less than 1 EUR, than
to ignore it. But wait, there's one step to do, to ensure that I never
ever get a bill in a range between 50 to 900 EUR.

Well, I won it. And you, you'll be in line in front of the crap store
and pay hundreds of EUR to get a locked operating system without usable
software already installed?