Choose your side on the Linux divide

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 23:18:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 6:36 AM, David Guntner <david at guntner.com> wrote:
> On 8/26/2014 1:52 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 04:06:19 -0400
>> Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There's a OT list for this BS.
>>

>> Hey Tom H,
>>
>> When I start posting about my cat, or my car, or who I'll vote for for
>> governor, you can give me that "OT list" BS. But how your Linux
>> operating system is started, and whether it becomes more modular or more
>> entanged, is 100% Linux.
>

> Yea, but you see (well, I suppose that the people like you who continue to
> think this list is for anything you feel like posting about *don't* see it),
> *this* list is for DEBIAN-specific Linux discussions.  It's not a
> general-purpose Linux advocacy list.  That's why we have a DEBIAN Off-Topic
> list - it's for Debian users to talk about things that aren't specific to
> DEBIAN, such as general Linux advocacy and so on.

I suppose Steve is still hoping that we can get enough user-level
support for shoving back against the freedesktop.org/gnome/systemd
crowd within debian. Just because the technical committee made one
stupid decision doesn't mean they can't have second thoughts.

So it is debian-user on topic, so there.

> While systemd is 100% a Linux thing, it's hardly a Debian-specific thing.
> It's way better suited to the OT list.  Which, you know, is why it was
> created.

No, the off-topic list was for talking about off-topic stuff that is
incidental to debian discussions.

The only way the appropriateness of systemd in debian is off-topic is
if systemd has already become the replacement kernel in Linux. (We
know they are trying hard at that, but it hasn't happened yet.)

> [...]

Let me repeat myself, if you don't get it yet.

This is not the Fedora list. The only way a planned integral part of
the post-jessie debian systems can become off-topic is if discussing
removing it becomes equivalent to discussing removing the kernel. (And
even there, we have precedent.)

--
Joel Rees

Computer storage is just fancy paper,
the CPU just a fancy pen.
All is text, streaming from the past into the future.