Choose your side on the Linux divide

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 03:05:22 UTC 2014

Oh, we're off-topic now.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Brian <ad44 at cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 27 Aug 2014 at 08:41:59 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

>> > Agreed. The health of this list isn't maintained by sticking fingers
>> > in ears. Why should we allow its usefulness to deteriorate?
>>
>> Sorry, your logic seems a little opaque to me.
>>
>> Are you trying to say that we shouldn't have to put our fingers in our
>> ears by using killfiles?
>>
>> Are you saying we shouldn't have to ignore things we don't like to hear?
>
> A very famous person once said
>
>   OT posts prosper because good people do nothing.

A very famous person said good people don't pervert proverbs to their own ends.

> David Guntner did something.

Completely within his rights. He expressed his opinion.

>> > The first mail in this thread has a link; basically that is all it
>> > contains. It is the staple signature of the "I have nothing to say but
>> > hope it generates a large response so I can look important" poster. It's
>> > often matched in its thoughtlessness by the "+1" response.
>> >
>> > The justification for the post is that "...how your Linux operating
>> > system is started......is 100% Linux."
>> >
>> > This proposition works just as well for putting the same post on the
>> > Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Gentoo lists, which would make it OT on all
>> > these three lists plus debian-user.
>> >
>> > (The last paragraph contains a subtle argument, I know; but sometimes
>> > you have to try).
>>
>> Uhmm, you  mean like, Chevrolets are Fords because all Fords are cars?
>
> I'm uncomfortable with car analogies. Please reframe the question in
> terms of mailing lists and their purpose.

It's not a car analogy. The fact that you don't recognize it only
emphasizes the apparently unintended irony of your post.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.