[D-community-offtopic] Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jan 17 05:57:25 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 18:18 -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Jarth Berilcosm wrote:
> > > http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
> >
> > Unworldly!
>
> I really enjoyed Robin 'Roblimo' Miller's similar posting.
>
>   http://os.newsforge.com/os/05/05/18/2033216.shtml
>
> Of course newsforge.com is dead now.  But the Wayback Machine at the
> Internet Archive has a copy.  Good reading!
>
>   Windows rapidly approaching desktop usability
>   Friday May 27, 2005 (06:01 PM GMT)
>   By: Robin 'Roblimo' Miller
>   https://web.archive.org/web/20050826162331/http://os.newsforge.com/os/05/05/18/2033216.shtml
>
> Maybe one day MS-Windows will be ready for the desktop?

:D

XP was a good OS for people who spend some time to tune it (or who used
a cracked version, that already was optimized), but there still was one
issue. A "tedious installation procedure"? No! But a "purge remove"
sometimes was impossible for "averaged" users.

I'm aware that my words to Jarth are harsh, but they are honest and I
also have issues with Linux/FreeBSD desktop environments. Does anybody
force us to use a DE? No! Much work could be done by CLI and other work
could be done using a WM, even by a tiling window manager.

It's our choice! If we decide to use crap, e.g. for "averaged consumer
needs", we should stand it! Free will! Btw. fonts are blurry on my
machine to, I experience the same issues as the OP does experience, but
for me it's just some "fine" computer issue, so I don't care.

Again! Computer technology isn't that progressive! It's crap, just less
expensive than to use other technology.

The OP wrote much about consumer multimedia. I own so called
professional multimedia equipment, e.g. a RME sound card ... this isn't
prosumer, it's the top level for professional audio, when using a
computer. Pff! If you want good audio quality, use analog gear!

To be fair! Professional audio equipment for the PC is less expensive
than analog consumer audio gear was years ago.

What's the problem for the OP?

The workflow?

The quality of the results when producing?

The quality when consuming bullshit, such as video games?

Computers are machines that are good for calculating trajectories for
rockets.

If you want to make music, use an instrument. if you want to play a
game, use a board game, if you love social contacts, leave your home!

You want to listen to music and watch a video? Use stand alone
equipment! Nobody is able to blow dry the hair, by using a knife. You
need a hairdryer to do this.

All frustration about computer is caused by misusing computers! I often
need to do it too, because many good things are unpayable nowadys, so
there is the need to use a computer for things a computer simply can't
do in a good way.

Regards,
Ralf