Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sun Jun 15 14:43:12 UTC 2014

On 6/15/14, The Wanderer <wanderer at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> - --
>    The Wanderer
>
> Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

So I see, regularly, and I tend to agree. But I think that quote ought
be modified, since without this:

> A government exists to serve its citizens, not to control them.

It is sort of misleading.

Perhaps to "government secrecy is the beginning of tyranny".

Or do you also apply the quote to individuals?

If so, the quote is at odds with your pseudo-anonymity.

I do believe that without transparency of government, we cannot have
democracy. So I share the sentiment of the quote. And it reminds me of
another similar one:

"Evil thrives only in secrecy."

Which I think applies very much to relationships between individuals,
in particular.

Food for thought,
Zenaan