On what is helpful and what is not [was: Re: Wifi]

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Mar 10 15:57:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 11:15 -0400, Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> It's attitudes like that that keep people away from Debian &
> Linux.

Nonsense, we are humans and have experiences with other humans and most
of us likely are older than 8 years. Fortunately Andrei renamed the
subject. For somebody who needs help, it's terrible to read a discussion
that doesn't help her/him. The discussion about nothing is a serious
issue. I replied to Stan and Jerry off-list (not a wise decision, to be
quiet is much wiser) and I posted the link to the OT list. People stay
away from Linux, if they need help and much more than 50% of the replies
are about the wrong tone of voice, broken threads etc.. Before they
could filter messages, they need to read all that irrelevant carp.

Errare humanum est! Everybody of us makes mistakes, no need to beat a
dead horse.

The OP get a lot of help, Stan's mail might be help or not, it doesn't
matter, the much longer discussion about Stan's tone of voice is
counterproductive. Even if Stan's tone of voice should be wrong and his
tone of voice perhaps isn't wrong, but even if it would be wrong, it was
just one email among several emails that were ok. The discussion about
"a problem" were "no problem" is, makes it bad.

2 cents,
Ralf