GR proposal: code of conduct

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Mar 20 05:32:44 UTC 2014

Note: I am not (yet) a developer and am therefore without franchise
(voting rights) in the Debian community.

On 3/20/14, Russ Allbery <rra at debian.org> wrote:
> While it's probably too late in this process to change what we're going to
> vote on, I just ran across this today, and it may be of general interest
> in the context of codes of conduct.
>
> http://adainitiative.org/2014/02/howto-design-a-code-of-conduct-for-your-community/

I say it is on one hand better to grant the voting community time to
read and research options for CoC, for the community (at least those
with franchise - at the moment only debian developers) to debate that
CoC, such that (entirely inadvertent, of course) mistakes and/or
potential problems in our legislation (in this case Debian Policy) be
avoided.

On the other hand, such problems, and the consequences (quite possibly
only to be seen some years into the future) might in fact be the ideal
opportunity for members of the debian community (both those with and
without franchise) to experience the consequences of ill thought out,
or not properly explored/understood legislation.

Good luck,
Zenaan

PS, some d-community-offtopic posts in addition:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/d-community-offtopic/2014-March/000489.html
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/d-community-offtopic/2014-March/000491.html