How to start an app by a terminal and to keep it running, when closing the terminal?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue May 20 17:27:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

regarding to issues with Evolution, I want to be able to launch
"evolution --force-shutdown" in a terminal emulation by the JWM menu.
This does work without a problem.

I also want to have an option, to restart Evolution by the same terminal
emulation and after Evolution is restarted, I want to close the terminal
emulation, without exiting Evolution.

What ever I tried, when closing the terminal emulation, Evolution was
exited. Currently I use a workaround by starting xfce4-appfinder, but I
want to be able to launch evolution directly.

The menu entry [1] does run the terminal emulation [2] and the terminal
emulation does run a wrapper around evolution [3].

Regards,
Ralf

[1]
$ grep force ~/.jwmrc
      <Program label="Evo force shutdown"> evoterm --force-shutdown </Program>

[2]
$ cat /usr/local/bin/evoterm
#!/bin/sh

roxterm --maximize -T "evolution $*" -e evowrap $*

exit

[3]
$ cat /usr/local/bin/evowrap
#!/bin/sh

echo "Launch: evolution $@"
printf "Cancel? [c] "
read pushed_key

case $pushed_key in c) exit;; esac
evolution $@

echo
printf "Launch evolution or another app? [Y/n] "
read pushed_key

case $pushed_key in
  N|n)   ;;
  Y|y|*) xfce4-appfinder -c;;