Debian fork

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 01:48:25 UTC 2014

(Deliberately including listmaster.)

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 3:29 AM, Don Armstrong <don at debian.org> wrote:

> This thread is off topic for -user. If you want to discuss this further,
> please use
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic.
>
> If you want more information about systemd, see https://wiki.debian.org/systemd.
>
> If you want to avoid using systemd, simply don't install the
> systemd-sysv package. If something requires systemd-sysv and doesn't
> have an alternative dependency on systemd-shim, please file a bug using
> reportbug if one hasn't already been filed.
>
> If you wish to discuss forking Debian, please do so using non-project
> resources.

I don't know, Don.

If the debian community is not unfriendly to a fork (particularly as
an alternative to the acrimony about systemd), why would some
discussion here be inappropriate?

In my opinion, what should have happened two years ago was a parallel
fork of the same sort as kfreebsd, allowing systemd to be worked on by
people who want it to work. And then the necessary adjustments overall
to keep the two compatible could have been made in a much more
cooperative atmosphere.

Now I find I'm sorry I was too polite to jump into debian-devel as a
debian newb, to try to encourage that kind of thinking back then. (Not
that I necessarily think I could have made that much difference.)

I think the success with bash => dash may have made many in the
community take the changes here too lightly, both from the managerial
point of view and the engineering?

--
Joel Rees