Debian fork

Don Armstrong don at debian.org
Wed Oct 22 14:41:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Joel Rees wrote:
> If the debian community is not unfriendly to a fork (particularly as
> an alternative to the acrimony about systemd), why would some
> discussion here be inappropriate?

Because the fork would no longer be Debian, and it has nothing to do
with the support of Debian. Debian has lots of forks and derivatives,
but they were formed by people actually sitting down and doing the work,
not agitating for the fork/derivative on Debian mailing lists.

I stared at the mountain rising over me. Empty. It was a pointless
thing to have done -- climb up it, across it, and down it. Stupid! It
looked perfect; so clean and untouched, and we had changed nothing.
[...] I had been on it too long, and it had taken everything.
 -- Joe Simpson "Touching the Void" p117