[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: dbconfig-common Problems

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Jul 28 06:04:45 UTC 2005

hey andreas,

(cc'ing the dbconfig devel list, in case anyone else runs across this)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 01:21:01PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> some remarks to dbconfig-common.
>
>    1. Is there any debug mode?
>       I would like to see all commands which are executed in a logfile
>       or something similar.

there are two things you can do that will help out.  the first thing i'd
try is:

export dbc_debug
dbc_debug=1

before installing a dbconfig-common package.  this will let you know
what's going on as it happens from a medium depth level.

the next thing you can do is uncomment the "set -x" in
/usr/share/dbconfig-common/dpkg/common, which will give you a much, much
more verbose detail of what's going on.

>    2. Why not including the db-test example you are mentioning in
>        /usr/share/doc/dbconfig-common/dbconfig-common.html
>       at the same place in examples?

actually, it only occurred to me today that i could include the
examples as part of the source package in an examples directory.  i'll
probably do this in a future upload.

>    3. Something seems to be wrong
>
>      +-------------- Configuring gnumed-server -----------------------+
>      | An error seems to have occurred while installing the database. |
>      | If it's of any help, this was the error encountered:           |
>      |                                                                |
>      | Abschiedsworte m?ssen kurz sein wie Liebeserkl?rungen.         |
>      | -- Theodor Fontane, C?cile stdin: is not a tty psql: Server    |
>      | unterst?tzt kein SSL, aber SSL wurde verlangt                  |
>      |                                                                |
>      | At this point, you have the option to retry or ...             |
>
>      I wonder why the error message has
>        a) German locale setted

probably because you do :)

>        b) Prints a fortune
>      It seems to start a default login shell on this machine which just
>      does this but IMHO it should start a plain shell

could you try replacing all the 'su - $localuser' instances in
internal/pgsql with 'su $localuser' and let me know if that has any
different?  it looks like the problem has something to do with requiring
SSL when it's not available, but my german is sadly limited to that which
can get me by at dinner tables, bars, and dance clubs (and i have mainly
madduck to thank for that:])

>  x Unbekannte ID: dbtestpgsql
>  x s/Unbekannte/Unknown/  - I'm just using the German locale ...

just a guess, but the db-test-pgsql package does not create system
users, and it looks like you told it to connect using local ident.
could you try using password?  note that neither db-test-pgsql nor
dbconfig-common will create system users for you (though perhaps the
test package should as an example), so if your package uses local ident
and creates stuff to be owned by a user, you'll have to create the user
first (and possibly preseed the dbc variable that holds the user setting).

	sean