[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: dbconfig-common Problems

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Thu Jul 28 07:27:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, sean finney wrote:

>>    1. Is there any debug mode?
>>       I would like to see all commands which are executed in a logfile
>>       or something similar.
>
> there are two things you can do that will help out.  the first thing i'd
> try is:
>
> export dbc_debug
> dbc_debug=1
>
> before installing a dbconfig-common package.  this will let you know
> what's going on as it happens from a medium depth level.
>
> the next thing you can do is uncomment the "set -x" in
> /usr/share/dbconfig-common/dpkg/common, which will give you a much, much
> more verbose detail of what's going on.
Could you please insert this into the docs?  I guess I'm not the only one
who wonders how to do that.

> actually, it only occurred to me today that i could include the
:)
> examples as part of the source package in an examples directory.  i'll
> probably do this in a future upload.
This would be great.

>>      I wonder why the error message has
>>        a) German locale setted
> probably because you do :)
Sure I do so for login shells.

>>        b) Prints a fortune
>>      It seems to start a default login shell on this machine which just
>>      does this but IMHO it should start a plain shell
>
> could you try replacing all the 'su - $localuser' instances in
This works for sure and actually was my guess that it was the reason.

> internal/pgsql with 'su $localuser' and let me know if that has any
> different?  it looks like the problem has something to do with requiring
> SSL when it's not available, but my german is sadly
It was not about the actual error message - it just was that fortune was
called because you forced a login shell. :)
And yes, the server did not support SSL.  I fiddled around a little bit
because the first trial did not worked.  Thus I used "localhost" as server
because my idea was, that if there is no local system user a TCP/IP connection
might perhaps do the trick.  I don't know whether it makes sense or is even
possible to make a ssh connection to localhost.  I wonder if dbconfig-common
should not override the setting of SSH connection if the server host is
localhost?

In the gnumed setup there will be no local system user for the database users
and thus I can not use ident method but always have to use password
authentication.

> limited to that which
> can get me by at dinner tables, bars, and dance clubs (and i have mainly
> madduck to thank for that:])
I told him greetings from you at DebConf has you asked me to do. ;-))

>>  x Unbekannte ID: dbtestpgsql
>>  x s/Unbekannte/Unknown/  - I'm just using the German locale ...
>
> just a guess, but the db-test-pgsql package does not create system
> users, and it looks like you told it to connect using local ident.
Well, it fails immediately after I told debconf to use dbconfig-common.
So I have no chance to do something (except of changing the config file
in the source), right?

> could you try using password?  note that neither db-test-pgsql nor
> dbconfig-common will create system users for you (though perhaps the
> test package should as an example), so if your package uses local ident
> and creates stuff to be owned by a user, you'll have to create the user
> first (and possibly preseed the dbc variable that holds the user setting).
Well, I do not want to use ident for my application (gnumed) so I think trying
password is the right way to go.  Your example just does not work out of the
box.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

--