[Dbconfig-common-devel] Re: dbconfig-common Problems

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Fri Jul 29 06:43:13 UTC 2005

heyo,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:27:25AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >export dbc_debug
> >dbc_debug=1
> >
> >before installing a dbconfig-common package.  this will let you know
> >what's going on as it happens from a medium depth level.
> >
> >the next thing you can do is uncomment the "set -x" in
> >/usr/share/dbconfig-common/dpkg/common, which will give you a much, much
> >more verbose detail of what's going on.
> Could you please insert this into the docs?  I guess I'm not the only one
> who wonders how to do that.

sure thing.  just committed something in cvs.

> >actually, it only occurred to me today that i could include the
> :)
> >examples as part of the source package in an examples directory.  i'll
> >probably do this in a future upload.
> This would be great.

i'll make a point to do this.

> >could you try replacing all the 'su - $localuser' instances in
> This works for sure and actually was my guess that it was the reason.

okay, now doing just "su" and not "su -".

> And yes, the server did not support SSL.  I fiddled around a little bit
> because the first trial did not worked.  Thus I used "localhost" as server
> because my idea was, that if there is no local system user a TCP/IP
> connection
> might perhaps do the trick.  I don't know whether it makes sense or is even
> possible to make a ssh connection to localhost.  I wonder if dbconfig-common
> should not override the setting of SSH connection if the server host is
> localhost?

assuming you mean ssl and not ssh?  as far as localhost is concerned,
perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn't.  by default, PGSSLMODE is set to
"prefer", which means that if it's not able to establish an ssl
connection it will continue in the clear, and this is only overridden
if the admin selects tcp/ip over ssl.  or at least that's how it
*should* be working :)

> In the gnumed setup there will be no local system user for the database
> users
> and thus I can not use ident method but always have to use password
> authentication.

okay, in that case you should select "password" for the authentication
method questions.  looking at the dbconfig code, it's not clear whether
or not you can preseed this value (by setting something like
dbc_pgsql_authmethod_user="password" etc), though you ought to be able to
for just this reason.

> >just a guess, but the db-test-pgsql package does not create system
> >users, and it looks like you told it to connect using local ident.
> Well, it fails immediately after I told debconf to use dbconfig-common.
> So I have no chance to do something (except of changing the config file
> in the source), right?

i'd try the above mentioned debug routines to see if that sheds any
more light on why things are failing.  you could then forward this
information to me and/or the bts and we could take things from
there.

you can also always hand-edit the config files under /etc, whose
settings trump those of what's stored in debconf (in fact, they
are loaded into debconf before debconf is run).

> >could you try using password?  note that neither db-test-pgsql nor
> >dbconfig-common will create system users for you (though perhaps the
> >test package should as an example), so if your package uses local ident
> >and creates stuff to be owned by a user, you'll have to create the user
> >first (and possibly preseed the dbc variable that holds the user setting).
> Well, I do not want to use ident for my application (gnumed) so I think
> trying
> password is the right way to go.  Your example just does not work out of the
> box.

i believe that password does not work out of the box because postgres
is not set up out of the box to do password based authentication.  if
you enable password authentication in pg_hba.conf do you get any
further?

	sean